Our report come from the calm before the storm on Friday. Rivers had color from Thursday night’s rain. We started off on some smaller waters catching brook trout for a couple hours. The sun was just peaking out and a few caddis were around as we were leaving. Most fish were caught subsurface on an Airhead PT. We then drove to a little bigger stream to see it was pretty chalky colored and decided to head to the Rush. When we got there we enjoyed a fulfilling lunch on the tailgate of my clients truck. The river was also chalky but a little clearer than the other creek. About 8-10 inches of visibility. We settled in to a riffle/run where David connected with his biggest fish of the day a 13 inch Brown Trout on a large BH Prince Nymph. We tried streamer fishing but did not get a single hit or follow. We decided to relocate for the last 2 hours of the trip and found our way to Martel.
I hadn’t fished the upper portion in a while and was surprised when the road was closed due to the metal bridge being replaced. We fished below and found the water to be clear with trout feeding on dries sipping midges and attacking occasional light colored mayfly (possibly PMD). Dave made contact with a few fish and landed a 9 inch brook trout. The clarity made me think was the cloudiness due to the construction or the night before rain? It was about 630 pm when we got there and all the construction workers were gone or had we come up river enough to find clear water. I am thinking maybe both. We ended our day together just as the rain started to sprinkle and we headed back to Kinni Creek Lodge and Outfitters.
Once back at the shop we all decided to part our ways. I began my drive home barely a block down main the wind came up with the torrential rain. Noticing the West Wind sign I decided a Kinni Burger, fresh cut fries, and a Rush River Unforgiven were going to hit the spot while I waited out the storm. The rain really came down causing the Kinni to peak at about 1200+ cfs on Saturday afternoon. Those of you who don’t normally fish the kinni it runs around 90-100 cfs most of the year. Cancelled my trout trip for Sunday morning knowing conditions were going to be very unfavorable.
This week should be fun as I am participating as a fellow in EngrTEAMs at the University of Minnesota. We will be learning how to integrate engineering into Life Science. The week following the fourth I will be designing a curriculum unit of my own. I am looking forward to where this experience takes me. The curriculums already displayed for us last week were very engaging and interesting, which could be adapted for my classroom. We built water collection and water storage devices for a remote island in Costa Rica, a wind mill to be placed on campus, and a dialysis machine trying to improve efficiency.
The weekend should bring me rowing a few clients on Wildwood’s Trip From Hell in Wisconsin somewhere. Looking forward to getting on the oars as have been a couple weeks. Guiding will pick up from there and it looks like I will have a busy summer. Drop me an email firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to snag one or two of the remaining dates.